The History of Mt Beulah
The history of Mt Beulah began near its present location next to the road where four large pines stood giving the immediate area its name of Four Pines, South Carolina. There, under those towering pines, was erected a brush arbor; and the people of the community came to worship the Lord.
Mr. Jim Hutto donated an acre of land for the community to build a one room schoolhouse that would serve as a place to worship and teach the Sunday school. The first Sunday school teachers included Mrs. Hattie Williams and Mrs. Ann C. Williams.
In early 1916, Mr. John Gartman and Mr. Bill Hutto met Rev. Bill Dennis, a holiness preacher, at Beaver Creek Baptist Church. They invited him over for dinner; and that afternoon Rev. Dennis preached his first sermon on the grounds of Mt. Beulah. Mr. Gartman later became an ordained minister and taught the men’s Bible class at Mt. Beulah for 53 years.
It wasn’t long before the people saw that they were outgrowing the brush arbor. The congregation was growing, and God was moving as never before witnessed in our community. There was a great need for a building. The Lord moved on the heart of Mr. Mannie Hutto (one of Mr. Jim Hutto’s sons); and he donated an acre of land for the church building.
The men of our community began cutting trees for the lumber. Mr. Jake Barr sawed the trees into lumber at a saw mill near the Ash property (2 miles SW of the church). The finished lumber was carried to the site of the church. Mr. Louis Chavis and Mr. Tommy Williams were in charge of building the church.
On June 23, 1916, this church was organized as a Pentecostal Holiness Church in the Four Pines community. The Rev. E.L. Brunson officiated on this historic occasion.
On January 27, 1917, during the South Carolina Conference of the IPHC, it was decided to call the church Mt. Beulah. This name comes from
In 1933, during the pastorate of Rev. G.L. Skipper, the first parsonage was built.
Rev. Oscar B. Graham became our pastor in 1943. During his ministry the church not only became a full time church but was remodeled and bricked.
In 1949 Rev. Mary Sue Evans became our pastor. During her seven year ministry the Education Building was added as a two story addition to the back of the church.
Rev. R.W. Blakely became our pastor in 1955. All of the existing mortgages were paid during his ministry.
In 1960 Rev. Arthur Graham became our pastor. During his ministry the present parsonage was built. Other changes included the church being redecorated, new furniture and an organ being purchased, and the parking lot in front of the church being paved.
In 1966 Rev. Emory T. Martin became our pastor, and lots of changes occurred during his tenure. The mortgage for the parsonage was paid, and a den was added to it. The church was fully heated and air conditioned, carpeted throughout, and the pews padded. The church walls were extended by 10’ 8” on each side. The front of the church received an addition of the Pastor’s study, a sound room, a restroom, and vestibule. A new organ and piano were purchased for the sanctuary along with a new sound system. A beautiful sign was built near the road, and the remaining parking lot was paved. The old schoolhouse was remodeled. Our 30’x80’ Fellowship Hall was built and completely furnished along with the new education building and a steeple atop the church.
In 1988 Rev. Ronnie Street became our Pastor. During his ministry all indebtedness was paid off, and the two story Sunday school rooms were recovered and shingled.
Rev. Henry H. Chavis became our pastor in 1994, and he served until 2007. During his time at Mt. Beulah the sanctuary and several other rooms were re-carpeted, the pews were padded, and new song books and new furniture were bought. The church was incorporated in March 2001. The front restroom and vestibule were renovated, and all exterior trim on the buildings was covered in vinyl siding. The bus shed was built, and 10’ wings were added to each side of the shed and concreted. The old schoolhouse received vinyl siding, and the nursery was remodeled. The fellowship hall received major renovations including a ramp at the back door, a remodeled restroom, a new ice maker, new cabinets, countertops, and a hood over the stove and deep fryers. The barbeque shed and pit was built and dedicated. The inside of the parsonage was renovated in early 2006, and a new church bus was paid off in April 2006.
In September 2007 - October 2009, Pastor Melvin Barnett led the Mount Beulah PH Church as its Pastor. Within his tenure, he assisted with the Renovation of the old School House, Renovation and Implementation of Church Offices. Also, during Rev. Barnett's tenure, the Mt. Beulah website was developed.
Rev. Legrande Taylor began pastoring Mt. Beulah in 2010. Since his leadership, Mt. Beulah has renovated and modernized the restrooms in the Education Building. In addition, the first phase of the parking lot resurfacing was completed in November of 2010 which included the South corner of new building to Shamrock Road. In December of 2010, the Media system was installed which included three 60' LG Panels, a laptop computer and DVD playback units with a preview monitor. An enclosure to the bus shed was added as well as the purchase of ten picnic tables. The playground was upgraded with new toys and playground equipment. New signs were purchased for the bell tower and new foilage was added to the sanctuary. The restrooms in the old Sunday school area received new flooring as well as upgrades. A new pump was added to the exisiting well. In August of 2011, the roadway between the fellowship hall and cemetary fence was paved as well as the corner of Chapel to Shamrock Road. The "Youth" building (old schoolhouse) was re-shingled and a new covering door on the Chapel exit was fabricated in November of 2011. In February of 2012, a 20' x 18' covering was fabricated for door exiting the fellowship hall on the southeast as well as a covering for the door. In May 2012, the cemetary fence was replaced and gates and poles refurbished. The final phase of the parking lot project was completed in November of 2012.
Work finished on Kitchen in Parsonage, March 1st. 2013, replaced Stove, hood, flooring and